Wednesday 18 September 2013

VeganMofo - Compassion is the fashion with fabulous vegan foods... Week 3

Can you believe it's:

Week 3 of VeganMofo!

What's it all about and what did you miss on weeks 1 and 2? Please check here!

What's coming up next? Only another 21 more delicious meal ideas!
Is there no end to the vegan food possibilities???
I don't think so!


Sunday  15.9.13

Spicy bravas-style tofu scramble on multiseed toast with baked forestiere mushrooms.

You all know by now I love a brunch at the weekend and this one is so low calorie and so tasty that you can enjoy a really hearty portion that sets you up for the day! 




Egg-free, dairy-free chocolate macadamia fudge brownies.

My first attempt at making these - made using a ground flax seed 'egg' ! Who knew this could be so easy and who would have guessed they would disappear in an afternoon?!




A nut roast slice (from Healthy Pulses, Exeter) with olive oil mash and lots of mixed steamed veg.

We've all heard of the stereotypical 'vegan nut roast' - but let me tell you, don't knock it 'til you've tried it - it's far tastier and far better than many other roasts I could mention!




Monday 16.9.13

Porridge made with almond milk and oats, topped with the last of the summer berries (raspberries, blueberries & a lone strawberry!), flaked almonds & agave nectar.

One of the simplest most delicious breakfasts you can make and there are so many different moo-free milks to try. Almond and oat are my favourite.







Baked leek risotto with onions, peppers and vegan mozarella.

This is a great weeknight supper dish, because you chop, throw it into a dish and bake.
I love it with lashings of tomato ketchup - may not be classy, but it works for me!




Tuesday 17.9.13

Pumpkin-seed toast with homemade damson jam and a fresh pear on the side.

I always try to add a fruit or veg element to a breakfast and these blush pears are amazing!





Baked sweet potato falafels with fresh salad and wholemeal pitta.

The 'after' pic was a somewhat full pitta oozing with mayo and chilli sauce too! Pretty much anything could go into a falafel - they're as limiting as your imagination :)




Mixed marinated vegetable kebabs (mango chilli sauce, BBQ sauce, satay sauce) on a bed of fluffy couscous and with a side of hm coleslaw.

Yes, I am officially addicted to coleslaw - I would add it to everything if I could. It's raw and healthy too!



Wednesday 18.9.13

Birchers-style muesli with fresh apple and blackcurrants.

This seems to be one of those breakfasts you get on buffet bars in more upmarket hotels - but so simple to make at home. Last week on Mofo I made this goji pineapple muesli and here it is revamped with some added fruit and soya yoghurt.



Homemade crispy, golden, spicy sweet potato empanadas, with lime mayonnaise and a 'ribbon' salad.

A bit of an indulgent lunch this one - but fabulous if you have people over (which I did) because it's tasty, unusual and they'll never guess its vegan! 



Homemade spaghetti bolognaise, made with soya mince and vegan red wine (1 bottle of!)

Everyone loves a good 'ole spag bol don't they - and I'm no exception. Making meals like this using a meat substitute is a great way to start out on the vegan lifestyle. 





Thursday 19.9.13

Sunflower seed toast with cashew nut butter and a raspberry, pineapple, vanilla smoothie on the side.

I never used to like peanut butter, but nut butters do really appeal to me, so I tried cashew as an alternative and I love it! Worth a go if you feel the same :)







Spicy sweet potato with baby gem and homemade coleslaw in a salsa tortilla wrap.

This was left over empanada filling and perfect for a lunch wrap either at home or on the go.






Homemade beetroot burger - simply in a bun with a light garnish it was so good!

Although my kitchen looked like horrendous after making this - it was worth it! Forget trying to grow 'meat' in petri dishes - we have the solution here already.





Friday 20.9.13

Gluten-free mixed cereals with chocolate almond milk and fresh banana.

Why should chocolate milk be just for kids? I love this breakfast - hits all the right notes for a Friday :)








Red kidney bean dip with warm pittas and crudites.

I really try to keep some lunches light and I love crunchy fresh veg so much that its no hardship. Sugar snap peas are one of the most delicious things. They have to be fresh though.







Baked avocado goujons in panko crumbs with a jacket potato, homemade sweet chilli sauce, coleslaw and some seeded salad.

I've never been that keen on avocado, as you know, but with this amazing way to cook with them I could even get to love them!





Saturday 21.9.13

Mixed scrumped-fruit crumble (raspberries, figs, apples, blueberries), with a spiced oaty topping.

Yes - you see right, I had this for breakfast with some soya custard! What the hell. There was no room in the fridge and it just looked too good. This was one of my best ever crumbles. Yum! (NB I didn't eat it all by myself - I had help!)




Vegan packed lunch - cucumber and Marmite rolls, fresh tomatoes, some Thai-spiced crisps and a free-from chocolate bar.

What on earth do vegans have in sandwiches? It turns out there are a hundred things (I think I'll do a post on it one day). This is a childhood favourite of mine. Unusual, but if you are in the Marmite love camp - you'll like it!


Mixed vegetable jalfrezi with saffron rice and steamed tender stem broccoli.

Yay! Curry night! Indian food is a cuisine that lends itself so well to veganism - there are lots of choices and flavours and it also means a great weekend treat if you are a spice/heat fan. (Pappadums were out of view!)

1 comment:

  1. Some of this weeks’ Twitter comments on the food idea tweets each day!
    Join in the chat @vegsoup4thesoul #VeganMofo

    “looks delicious” “mmmnnn lookin good”
    [in response to chocolate macadamia nut brownies]

    “looks yum, just right for weather…” “I must make this soon. Looks so delicious. Thanks.” “Is there a recipe for this risotto? Love risotto with anything!”
    [in response to baked leek risotto]

    “Looks lovely – perfect for veg around this time of year.”
    [in response to veggie kebabs]

    “Ooh – I could go for that right about now ***drools***”
    [in response to sweet potato empanadas]

    ‘wow’!
    [in response to bagel with cream ‘cheese’ and raspberries]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.