Sunday 1 September 2013

Vegan Mofo - 90 ways to show compassion... week 1

Welcome to Vegan Mofo (Month of Food!)

What's it all about, you ask? The concept is simple - vegans making, eating, sharing good food and then blogging about it!
I haven't signed up officially, as time will only allow me to do a limited amount of blogging in a week - BUT this page will be a record of some yummy, scrummy food ideas, to show just how diverse & exciting eating with compassion can be!
I'll post a different meal for breakfast, lunch & supper every day throughout this month!
Some may be simple ideas, 'cos we're all mega busy these days, some will be mini feasts that you can enjoy spending time creating.
But all are made with love - love of delicious, nutritious food, of people, animals and our planet. #vegan #plantpower #whatveganseat #veganMoFo

Enjoy!


p.s. Forgive the lack of 'glamour', I'm neither a professional chef or a photographer - just a passionate home cook! I haven't added recipes, but if something catches your eye and you'd like to know more, please get in touch and I'll gladly help :) Chantal x


Sunday: 01.09.13
A vegan 'sausage' bap, on a bed of fresh spinach in a wholemeal bap with ketchup, mustard and fresh tomatoes on the side.

The addition of spinach makes this a little healthier & the vitamin C in tomatoes helps the body to absorb the iron in the spinach :)



HM Dairy-free, egg-free chocolate cola cake with fudgy frosting & pecans.

What can I say about this?! It's moist, delicious caramelly choco 'heaven'! Has a habit of disappearing very quickly...


HM savoury 'mince' & mushroom puff piewith classic crispy roasties & root veg and steamed green veggies.

Vegan Sunday dinners can beat meaty ones hands down! Look out for 'JusRoll' pastry - this puff is vegan! and I filled it with soya mince & mushrooms in a rich veggie gravy. I love having a variety of veg with meals & on this plate alone there are 6 types accompanying!



Monday 02.09.13
Toasted wholemeal bagel with lashings of soya 'cream cheese', topped with fresh summer berries (raspberries, blueberries, white currants) and drizzled with agave syrup.

As the song goes (showing my age) I don't like Mondays! But I do like a delicious breakfast that makes it worthwhile getting up! So that's what I always plan for a Monday.


Asian spiced edamame rice, spicy potatoes & butterbeans, peppers, cucumber, toms, olives, onion, beetroot & sunflower seed bread. (vegan mayo on the side)

A 'leftovers' lunch! Some of the tastiest lunches are made by raiding the fridge for bits! So handy for a Monday when time is tight & I can eat at home or from a lunch box! 

Spinach and Lentil Grills (From Create a Goodlife) with gyo spuds, fresh salad leaves and some fresh salads mixed with vegan mayo.

For something quick & easy I always keep a few ready-mades in the freezer - these are some of the best & my plate is still full of fresh garden salads & veg too. 



Tue 03.09.13
Honey-free granola with soya milk, soya yoghurt, agave nectar and fresh sliced strawberries.

There are many healthier cereals available these days - I look out for more fibre, less salt, no sugar and no honey.  Better still, homemade granola is simple and yummy and you know exactly what's gone into it!




Hongos a la Mexicana! Mexican-style mushrooms with corn tortillas, 'sour cream' & fresh salad greens.

I LOVE Mexican food and most of it can be veganised! These mushrooms are aromatic as well as spicy & can be cooked in advance to take to work & make everyone jealous :) 

Crispy fried strips of marinated sesame tofu with stirfried sweet and sour mixed veg, on a bed of fluffy steamed basmati rice.

I adore Asian-inspired foods too and strirfries are great vegan meals to make with texture and flavour galore. 




Wednesday 04.09.13
A HM chocolate muffin and fresh raspberry muffin, with a banana and an obligatory coffee!

Dispelling the myth that you need eggs and butter to make great cakes/muffins! A delicious (and not as 'naughty' as you might think) start to the day.



Warm spicy falafel in a toasted wholemeal pitta with fresh HM coleslaw in vegan mayo & some lambs lettuce & cherry tomatoes on the side.

This is a classic, but rightly so, 'cos it's tasty, easy to make and can be eaten on the move if needs be. My nan used to make a mean falafel, learnt from time living in Egypt, & they always bring back fond memories of her.

Creamy wild mushroom stroganoff with coriander basmati rice and steamed tenderstem broccoli.

Bit of a 70's flashback, but a great vegan option - use vegan brandy, soya cream & plenty of smoky paprika.





Thursday 05.09.13
Multigrain seeded toast with vegan spread - 1 slice marmite, 1 slice HM damson jam.

I used to love butter, but there are several great vegan alternatives - sunflower, soya margarine etc. and if you're in the 'love' brigade - Marmite provides a good Vit B hit.




Warm aubergine and asparagus salad with wheatberries and a sweet mustard dressing.

This is a fresh, vibrant, tasty dish - I love mixing warm vegetables with cool crisp salads & seasonal leaves from my garden.




Yuk Sung - savoury mince with garlic, ginger, water chestnuts, spring onions & soy sauce wrapped up with crisp fried rice noodles in crunchy iceberg lettuce leaves.

This is such a tasty & fun dish to make - I use Soya mince & my tip actually would be to use romaine lettuce if you're short on time - a LOT easier to separate the leaves!!!




Friday 06.09.13
Mixed wholegrain cereals with chocolate almond milk and fresh nectarine slices.

Chocolate 'milk' is a bit of a revelation, and it's #bravedave's secret favourite! bless :)




Light lunch of Mediterranean tomato bread topped with hummus and with some salads and grapes on the side.

A little bit of a strange combination, but I quite like to have a light lunch on a Friday, then I can treat myself in the evening!




Oven-baked breaded veggie fingers with crisp golden potato wedges and good old baked beans.

Now come on - who didn't love this kind of food as a kid?! It's quick, tasty, no fish were harmed, and it's perfect for a Friday night :)




Baked Bramley apple stuffed with boozy apricots, almonds and brown sugar - served with 'cream', 'custard' and fresh raspberries.

Whilst we're on a nostalgia trip - these are simple to make, and oh so delicious! I'd forgotten just how delicious, so these go back on the menu every September from now on!



Saturday 07.09.13
'Creamy' tofu scramble on toasted amaranth rye, topped with snipped spring onions and peppers.

#BraveDave prefers this to scrambled eggs! The secret, I've found, is to dry the tofu thoroughly and sautee with a little vegan 'butter' then add a touch of soya cream & a pinch of turmeric for colour.



Malaysian-style Laksa soup - an aromatic coconut broth with fresh vegetables, rice noodles and a hint of chilli.

Everything You'd like to know about this incredible soup can be found in my recipe write-up for it here!





HM spicy thoran curry with cauliflower bhajis, mushroom pilau rice and mango chutney.

Now this has got you all going! The most RTs and Faves on Twitter by far!! Everyone loves a curry it seems and this one is a little different because of the dry sweet cabbage and fresh coconut combination. It's delicious.



And so that's the end of #VeganMofo week 1!

Some simple soul-filling - belly-filling nostalgia foods.
If you're looking at this and you're not vegan - did it occur to you, where's the meat?
Plant-based foods can be so incredibly diverse and tasty and yet at the same time, as I think this shows, you don't need to forgo any of your favourite classics and comfort dishes.

So - back into the kitchen I go - get ready for week 2!

Love


Chantal xx

6 comments:

  1. Just some of the comments from my twitter followers – join in for more @vegsoup4thesoul:

    Sun.
    “How will you manage to wait till teatime?” (in response to the cake!)
    “Yum! What do you use for gravy?” (in response to Sunday roast)
    “Looks delicious! Your pictures are great!”
    Mon.
    “V Healthy.” (in response to breakfast)
    “Breakfast looks yummy!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look yummy! I want that pecan chocolate cola cake! Also great idea for the puff pastry pies, I have never mad a vegan pie yet, will try this week. VVx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY! I can't take credit for the cake recipe - I found it online and will send it on to you. What I can say is that it's the most advanced vegan baking I've done so far and it's incredible. Everyone who tries it loves it! For the puff pastry I use ready rolled JusRol - absolute bonus that it's vegan! (some supermarket ownbrands are vegan too) A veg curry filling is wonderful as well :) chx

      Delete
  3. Some of Tuesday's Twitter feedback - @vegsoup4thesoul

    “Your food looks really healthy but interesting too. I like mixes of things like this.” (Monday lunch)

    “That looks totally lovely and top marks for gyo veggies! Super supper .”(From Create a Goodlife – makers of the spinach grill.)

    “Looks beautiful and yummy!”

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Twitter feedback from the rest of the week:

    “Lovely!” (in response to falafels in pitta)

    “Stop!! Looks scrumptious! I’m rewarding myself when the badger petition reaches 300,000 – you’ve given me ideas!” (following my warm aubergine salad post)

    “…lady with the best recipes ever!!”

    “beautiful and yummy!”

    “yuuuuuuum. Looks lovely! I’ve had breakfast, but I could wolf this down no problem!” (tofu scramble fan)

    “#vegan breakfasts are brilliant!” (I agree!)

    “Looks awesome!”, “Gorgeous!”, “Looks amazing!”, “Looks DIVINE!” (curry night fans!)

    Catch me @vegsoup4thesoul

    TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow everything looks so good! I love seeing what people eat :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.