Monday 8 April 2013

Recipe: Spicy Thai-style Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan]

Given that British summertime seems to be subzero I am still making soups and warming lunches to make freezing afternoon gardening sessions more bearable! Here's something to warm you up this summer....

topped with pink grapefruit, fresh coconut & coriander!

When butternut squash first became fashionable I just couldn't understand what all the fuss was about - I didn't really like its sweet taste. But knowing it was good for me, I persevered and I'm so glad I did because I think this is now one of my favourite soups. I've never seen soup like this in the shops and so I hope you'll give this a try and that you'll love it as much as I do!





Gather:

15ml / 1tbsp oil (coconut, olive or vegetable)
1 medium onion - chopped
2 cloves of garlic - chopped
1 - 4 Thai red chillis - chopped (4 will be very spicy!)
1 red or orange pepper - deseeded and chopped
1 carrot - peeled and chopped
1 butternut squash peeled, deseeded and chopped
1 lemon grass stalk - split length ways, root intact
600ml veg stock
1 x 440g can coconut milk
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
torn fresh coriander to garnish

Other toppings to try - toasted coconut, slices of fresh coconut and a squeeze of fresh lime, slices of red chilli with some toasted pumpkin seeds, swirl of coconut milk.

Create:

  1. gently heat the oil and sautee the onions until softened (about 5 mins)
  2. add the garlic and chillis and sautee for a couple of minutes without browning
  3. add the remaining vegetables and continue to cook for a couple more minutes
  4. add the stock, coconut milk and lemon grass, bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for approx 20 mins or until all veg are softened
  5. remove the lemon grass stalk and blend the soup until really smooth and glossy
  6. add a little extra stock if the soup is too thick


Enjoy!

Serve with a garnish and some hot crusty bread. 

Happy (warm) gardening!


Chantal xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.