Saturday 2 March 2013

Recipe - stuffed peppers a la noughties.

Stuffed peppers always seemed to me to be something from the 70's that Delia would rustle up. Feeling they were a little old fashioned I had never tried them.... (food snob or what?!).
But during cottage renovations and a kitchen that was knee-deep in dust, I opted to buy some ready made ones from Waitrose, as I was quickly running out of ready made veggie food options.
AND needless to say they were delicious and I instantly regretted having turned my nose up at them for all these years.

Anyhoo, delicious as they were I knew I could do better - so with inclination and ingredients gathered, I made some yesterday evening. They were rockin' if I say so myself and so here's my own personal take on them for the noughties (not quite tweenies I fear, unless I use dehydrated mushrooms, cook them sousvide first and add popping candy). Enjoy!

[serves 2]

Gather

2 large bell peppers (ideally different colours)

1 to 2 tsp oil (I used vegetable)
1/2 onion - finely chopped
4 chestnut mushrooms - finely chopped
1 clove of garlic - finely chopped
small handful chopped mixed nuts or seeds that you like (I just had sesame to hand)
small handful chopped mixed herbs (optional - I had none fresh, I think parsley would be a winner)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

250g couscous (make lots because then you can have it for lunch tomorrow)
400ml veg stock (I used 1 organic garlic and herb stock cube from Kallo)

4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
60g strong organic cheddar - finely grated (leave out or subs for vegan cheese to go vegan)
Spritz of oil (I always have sunflower on the go)


Create
  1. Preheat oven to 200C / 180C fan (I made these in the aga on 'hot')
  2. Gently sautee the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the oil until softened. Add any herbs and nuts.
  3. Meanwhile, bring the veg stock to a boil, pour over the couscous, cover and leave to steam for up to 10 mins.
  4. Halve the peppers lengthways cutting through the stalk and keeping it attached if you can. Remove seeds and pith.
  5. Mix 4 heaped dessert spoons of the cooked couscous with the mushroom and onion mix and season to taste.
  6. Stuff the peppers by spooning in the couscous mix and pressing down so they are really packed.
  7. Top each with a 1/4 of the cheese, then a spoonful of breadcrumbs and a spritzing of oil.
  8. Place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven and bake for approx 30 mins or until golden on top.
















Devour
These would be lovely served with a crisp fresh green salad - but I was in the mood for more cold-night comfort, so I made some paprika roasties (skin on) instead, added a dollop of mayo and wallowed in the carb-fest! TFI Friday! :)


p.s.Remember that red peppers are the ripest and sweetest and also the softest, so may need less cooking time. I preferred the yellow pepper as it was slightly firmer.


Chantal xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.